Text to update?

Latest post 04-11-2012 11:08 PM by beckr. 3 replies.
  • 03-06-2012 10:31 AM

• twe_bates
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 32

Text to update?

Is there anyway possible to send a text message that will update our website?

We recently had a bomb threat and had to evacuate the building. Parents came to pick up their children, but information was difficult to send out. The superintendent asked if it was possible to send a text message to the website in the event of an emergency when we don't have access to computers/internet. Do any apps do something like?

• Post Points: 22
  • 03-06-2012 11:07 AM In reply to

• jwindsor
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Denton, TX
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,686

Re: Text to update?

Although there isn't a native feature that will update an app or the contents of your website by sending a text message, by leveraging the power of the platform and using readily available third-party tools, this is very possible.

One way is to use a dedicated Twitter account. Set up the Twitter account so that your designated person (Superintendent, PR director, principal, etc.) registers their cell phone with that dedicated Twitter account - only text messages from this phone will post to the website. On the website, set up an announcement that displays the Tweets from this dedicated Twitter account - there are many ways to do this, including some simple JavaScript codes freely available online. With this all set up, the designated person sends a Tweet via text message, which then displays on the Announcements app on the website. To "clear" the announcement, simply Tweet again, sending the HTML code for a space ( ).

I have a demo of this if you're interested in seeing it in action. Email me and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

--Jeff

• Post Points: 39
  • 03-06-2012 2:03 PM In reply to

• twe_bates
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 32

Yes, I am definitely interested in seeing that demo. Thank you. :)

• Post Points: 5
  • 04-11-2012 11:08 PM In reply to

• beckr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-15-2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Is there a way to make the twitter button on our school wires homepage jump to our actual twitter page, rather than just twitter.com?  Also, are there plans to let teachers have twitter and facebook buttons on their staff pages?  Thanks! Becky

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Feedback Feedback FeedbackSchoolwires Feedback